Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blogspiration17: Once a Writer, Always a Writer



Blogspiration is a weekly meme hosted by GrowingUp YA& Saz101. The meme was created to help spark inspiration among bloggers, readers & writers alike. An inspirational quote/picture/video is posted weekly, on the day of the author's choosing, so that it may inspire creativity, conversation & just a little SOMETHING.



I've known that I'm a writer since I was in 1st grade.  That's when I tried to write my first novel.  Given that I had a limited vocabulary at the time, and knew practically nothing of punctuation, it made for a terrible first novel.  Still, it was the beginning of something I knew would be a part of me for the rest of my life.

I told stories whenever I got the chance.  Writing felt so natural, so it seemed odd when people asked me why I did it.  Why wouldn't I write?  That's the real question.

The following quote is true.  Though I cannot say what my life will be in 10 years, or 50 years, I can say this much with absolute certainty.  If I am still alive, I will still be a writer.

Background Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Most people work jobs that pay the bills, but ultimately are not a part of who they are or who they want to be.  They have a separation between their personal and professional lives out of necessity.  

For me, being a writer is not a way to pay the bills (and trust me, writing certainly isn't paying them anyway).  Being a writer is more than a job.  It is an entire life.  It's a way of existing in the world.  No matter how old I am, I will be a writer.  There is no retiring from it, because you cannot retire from who you are.

1 comment:

  1. L.G., I LOVE THIS: "I've known that I'm a writer since I was in 1st grade."

    That passion and determination is SO wonderful, and it's going to make for such a wonderful story to tell and re-tell over your career. Thanks os much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete