Monday, July 16, 2012

My Muse Gets Tough

If you're here to see my post for Hookers and Hangers, keep scrolling.  It'll be the post immediately below this one.  However, if you'd like to see me struggle with my muse, feel free to read this too!


Even though I pledged to post for this wonderfully fun and helpful blogging event, I still felt I needed to meet with my muse.  I don't have a whole lot of time to talk though. My muse has me on a mission right now.

You see, in going through my existing work and outlines for other short stories, I realized I had plenty to work with if I wanted to self-publish a compilation.  I won't lie. I'm aching to get my work out there and see how it does.  It's a terrifying concept, but it's something I feel like I have to do.

I have three short stories written, a fourth that is heavily outlined, and a short novel that just needs a few of the blanks filled in.  Thinking about it now, it's really a first novel with bonus materials.  In fact, the hookers I used for the post below are from this same novel.  

By putting this short novel together with a few shorter works, I feel like I can convey a lot of who I am.  One thing I'm eager to do is establish my identity as a writer.  I feel like it's a good idea.

At least, I think it's a good idea to do it this way.  To be honest, I have no experience with this whatsoever.  I'm open to suggestions.  And terrified of them.  Let's face it. We writers never really like to hear that our ideas are bad.  The best we can do is learn to respond to it positively.

Here are the positives.  I already have an excited artist friend who has agreed to do cover art for me.  Her name is Chelsea Kelly and you can look at some of her work on her blog, My Interior Window.  And this is a great relief to me, because my artistic abilities are limited.  I've done a couple of works I'm proud of, but trust me.  My own artworks have never been cover-worthy!  I know my limits.

Another bonus is that most of this stuff is already written.  If I buckle down, I should be able to get something done reasonably quickly.  Reasonably, of course, being in relation to the rate at which I normally work.

Pleiades:  Don't lie to them.  Those stories are nowhere near done!

Me:  That's not true.  Three of them are completely done and only need a few minor edits.  The novel needs a few little blanks filled in, and it needs to be trimmed in a few spots.

Pleiades:  You do realize I've read it too, don't you?  I know how much work it needs.  I also know how scatter-brained you can be.

Me:  Hey!  (Stop to consider the accusation for a moment.)  All right, fine.  So you're right about that.  I'm determined this time, though!  Instead of sitting around saying that I want to have a book out there, I can actually put one out there.  I also have friends who will help me market it, and I'm getting a decent social networking platform set up.  I'm serious about this!

Pleiades:  I know you're serious now, but you tend to back off of things because of frustration and fear.  You'll probably do the same thing here!

Me:  Why are you being so mean?

Pleiades:  (Snaps a finger and her outfit immediately changes to an army uniform.) You need discipline.  I'm going to be your drill sergeant, and I'm going to whip you into shape.  You need me to be tough on you right now.

Me:  (Cringing.)  Is this really necessary?  I mean, I think I've actually been . . .

Pleiades:  What are you doing on that blog of yours, anyway?  You're just wasting time when you could be working on your  other project.

Me: This isn't wasting . . .

Pleiades:  Did you hear me, soldier?  Get off that blog right now and work!  WORK!

Okay.  I guess I'd better go now.




2 comments:

  1. Haha. This sounds like the conversations I have with myself. I'm thinking about doing a similar thing. Sooo daunting, and exciting at the same time! Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My muse is chaos. It waits until I have tons of things to do, then whispers awesome story ideas into my head in the middle of the night. During down times when I have all the time in the world to write, it's on a California vacation.

    ReplyDelete